Log In | Contact Us | View Cart (0 items)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Terex Corporation (1968-) | Historical Construction Equipment Association

Name: Terex Corporation (1968-)
Variant Name: Earthmoving Equipment Division of General Motors; Terex Division of General Motors


Historical Note:

On October 15, 1959 the United States Department of Justice filed an anti-trust action against General Motors Corporation (Collection 407) on the allegation that GM threatened to control the off-road hauler market. To settle, GM negotiated with White Motor Corporation (Collection 1601) during 1967 for the sale of certain parts of its Euclid Division (Collection 386), and on February 15, 1968 White purchased the Euclid off-highway truck lines, the American operations for the Division, and the Euclid name. GM retained the former Euclid lines of crawler tractors, motor scrapers and wheel loaders, which it marketed under the Earthmoving Equipment Division name. It also retained the right to build and market haulers from Canadian plants and the former Euclid factory in Scotland, but it was barred from re-entering the U.S. hauler market until July 1, 1972.

The Terex name was adopted by GM in October 1968 as the brand name for the Earthmoving Equipment Division. The British operation retained the Euclid (Great Britain), Ltd. name until December, 1968, when it was renamed General Motors Scotland, Ltd. The Earthmoving Equipment Division was officially renamed the Terex Division on July 01, 1970.

Terex had the following licensees:

• Hindustan Motors, Ltd., Madras, India, effective 1972.

• Terex do Brasil, S.A., Brazil, established 1973.

• Tierra Factors Corporation, Manila, The Philippines, effective 1978.

Terex Worldwide was established in 1974 September 1974 to manufacture and market Terex products internationally.

General Motors sold the Terex Division to IBH Holding AG (Collection 2214) on January 1, 1981, as part of IBH’s aggressive campaign of acquiring struggling equipment manufacturers. The Terex Division became Terex Corporation, a subsidiary of IBH, with GM retained a stake in IBH, in exchange for the Division and remaining the freeholder of the Terex plant in Scotland. IBH purchased the Scottish operations in a later, separate transaction. IBH continued the Terex name, incorporating Hanomag (Collection 413) and Zettelmeyer Baumaschinen GmbH (Collection 564) products into its product line and applying the Terex name and paint scheme to everything because of Terex’s brand recognition in the U.S.

The diesel-electric trucks being built at the Diesel Division, General Motors of Canada Ltd. (Collection 2803) plant in London, Ontario were not included in the sale to IBH The Diesel Division continued to manufacture them under Titan trade name. The line was sold to Marathon LeTourneau (Collection 460) in February, 1985.

IBH failed in November, 1983, and Terex Corporation in the U.S. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection against possible German creditor actions on November 8th. After German courts ordered the liquidation of IBH on December 14, 1983, General Motors repurchased Terex Ltd’s UK operations on February 19, 1984, and reformed them as Terex Equipment Ltd., a subsidiary of GM. Terex Corporation’s USA operations continued independent of GM, and were administered by bankruptcy laws. Terex Corporation’s American operations continued under Chapter 11 bankruptcy laws, and it emerged from Chapter 11 proceedings in August, 1986.

Northwest Engineering Company (Collection 483) purchased Terex Corporation on December 31, 1986, with an option to purchase Terex Equipment Ltd. at a later date. Northwest had been acquired by Randolph W. Lenz in 1983; in 1985, Lenz began his campaign of purchasing other firms by acquiring the Bucyrus-Erie Company (Collection 17) construction products line in 1985, then purchased Koehring Crane and Excavator (Collection 445) (including Schield-Bantam Company - Bantam Division of Koehring, Collection 137, and Lorain Division of Koehring, Collection 535) in the spring of 1987. The former Euclid plant at Hudson, Ohio was not included in the Terex deal, although production continued there for a time under a lease with GM. The option on Terex Equipment Ltd. was exercised on June 30, 1987.

In May, 1988 after purchasing Unit Rig & Equipment (Collection 1527), Northwest Corporation assumed the Terex Corporation name, designating the U.S. operations the Terex Division and retaining the Terex Equipment Ltd. name for the Scottish operations. Northwest became a division of Terex, the company it had acquired. The Hudson plant was closed in September, 1988, and operations were moved to Scotland. Terex went public in 1988. Terex moved its U.S. offices from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Westport, Connecticut in 1992.

In the late 1980s, Terex embarked on a years-long campaign of aggressive expansion by purchasing numerous other manufacturers of a wide range of products. Terex acquired Fruehauf Trailer (Collection 400) in 1989, then the Clark Materials Handling Company in 1992. The Koehring excavator, Northwest crane and Dynahoe (former Bucyrus-Erie, nee-The Hy-Dynamic Company, Collection 818) lines were discontinued in the early 1990s. 

The PPM Cranes Inc. (Collection 1990, nee-P & H, Collection 432) line of cranes was acquired in 1995. By 1997, Terex Corporation had established two business divisions, Terex Trucks and Terex Cranes. Terex Trucks included all earthmoving, construction and mining equipment companies, including Terex Equipment, Ltd., Unit Rig (Lectra Haul) and North Hauler in China. Terex sold rights to its crawler tractor design to Halla Engineering and Heavy Industries in 1996. Terex Cranes was established as a subsidiary of Terex Corporation, and acquired Bendini, Koehring, Marklift (Collection 2608) and P.P.M.  The Koehring acquisition included Lorain, and the P.P.M. purchase included the P&H crane line. American Crane (the former American Hoist &Derrick) was acquired in 1998.

Baraga Products (Collection 3163) was founded by Jim Mayo and other former employees of the Pettibone LLC (Collection 1177) telescopic handler plant at Baraga, Michigan. They started their own operation in Baraga, and were acquired by Terex Corporation (Collection 535) in 1996.

Terex acquired Cedarapids, Inc. (Collection 232) and Amida Industries, Inc. (Collection 2422) in 1999.

As of April, 2000, Terex Corporation owned the following manufacturers and product lines:

American Crane (formerly American Hoist & Derrick, Collection 66)

Amida Industries, Inc. (Collection 2422)

B.C.P.

B.P.I.

Bartell

Bendini

Benford Ltd. (Collection 3063)

Brimont

Bucyrus Company (former construction line, Collection 17)

C.P.V.

Cedarapids, Inc. (Collection 232)

Cella

Comedil

Enviroquip

Finlay BME – Fintec Crushing & Screening, Ltd. (Collection 2912)

Franna Cranes, Inc. (Collection 690)

Holland Lift

Italmacchine

Koehring Crane and Excavator (Collection 445)

Kooi-AAP

Lorain Division of Koehring (Collection 535)

Marklift (Collection 2608)

Matbro

Moffett

N.H.L.

Northwest Engineering Company (Collection 483)

O & K - Orenstein & Koppel (Collection 1123)

P & H (former construction line, Collection 432

PPM Cranes Inc. (Collection 1990)

Payhauler Corporation (Collection 493)

Pegson Quarry Plant/Pegson Ltd. (Collection 1169)

Peiner (Collection 3435)

Powerscreen

Princeton

RO Products, Inc. - RO Corporation (Collection 1226)

Ro-Tech

Royer

Simon

Simplicity Engineering Company (Collection 1376)

Telelect

Terex Equipment

Terex Mining

Terex U.K. Limited

Unit Rig & Equipment (Collection 1527)

These companies were organized into divisions as follows:

Terex Earthmoving:

Construction Division:

N.H.L. (Inner Mongolia North Hauler Joint Stock Company Ltd.) – produces off-highway rigid-

frame and articulated trucks for Chinese markets.

Terex Americas – sales, parts and product support for Terex Equipment Ltd. products in the

Americas.

Terex Benford – produces light and heavy compactors, site dumpers and concreting products.

Terex Equipment, Ltd., Scotland – produces motor scrapers and rigid-frame and articulated trucks

or quarry and construction use.

Terex U.K. – sales, parts and product support for Terex Equipment Ltd. products in the U.K.

Crushing and Screening Division:

B.L. Pegson – produces crushers for quarries and concrete recylclers, as well as pumps.

C.P.V. – produces I.S.O. tank containers, swap body tanks and mini-tanks for foodstuffs and

hazardous and semi-hazardous chemicals.

Cedarapids – produces crushing, screening, and asphalt production and paving equipment.

Finlay – produces mobile dry screening, washing and recycling equipment for the coal, quarry and

crushed stone industries.

Powerscreen International – produces mobile dry screening, washing and recycling equipment for

quarries, sand and gravel pits, coal producers and distributors, and the construction and

demolition waste recycling markets.

Mining Division:

O&K Mining – produces large hydraulic excavators and shovels.

Payhauler – produces four-wheel-drive off-highway end dump trucks, a line that originated with

International Harvester in 1964.

Unit Rig – produces the Lectra Haul line of diesel-electric mine trucks and the Dart line of diesel-

electric mine trucks.

Terex Lifting:

Includes all crane lines.

The scissor lift lines were consolidated into Terex Light Equipment in December, 1999.

Terex Light Construction, which was created in April, 1999 with the acquisition of Amida.

Amida – produces light plants.

Bartell – produces concrete troweling equipment.

Benford – produces light compactors.

All scissor lifts formerly part of Terex Cranes or Terex Liftng.

Terex acquired Jacques Bros. Pty., Ltd. (Collection 869) and, possibly as part of Jacques, Canica International Corporation (Collection 216) in 2001.

In Sweden, Svedala Industri (Collection 1432) was formed in 1988 and acquired the former Allis-Chalmers (Collection 54) and Stephens-Adamson Manufacturing Company (Collection 1410) aggregate equipment lines that same year; from 1989 through 2000, it purchased 38 more companies, including Dravo Wellman Company. Metso bought Nordberg in 1989 and created Nordberg Group. Among other companies, Nordberg acquired screen manufacturer Read Corporation (Collection 1240) in 1997, and Masterskreen International of Northern Ireland and Centric (Collection 2596), a US manufacturer of screens and crushers, in 1998. Nordberg assumed the Metso Minerals name in 2001 and, later in the year, acquired Svedala and merged it into itself. Svedala is also known to have owned the Reedrill (Collection 1244) earth and blasthole drills and Dynapac (Collection 378) compactor lines in the late 1990s and/or early 2000s; as of 2008, Dynapac was owned by Atlas Copco (Collection 101), and Terex (Collection 532) acquired Reedrill from Metso in 2004.

In addition, Terex purchased drill hammer and bit manufacturer Halco Holdings Ltd. in January 2006 and incorporated it into its Reedrill subsidiary.

See Euclid and Terex Earthmoving Equipment (Orlemann, 1997), for comprehensive discussion of Terex’s early years.






Page Generated in: 0.076 seconds (using 116 queries).
Using 5.96MB of memory. (Peak of 6.11MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign