Log In | Contact Us | View Cart (0 items)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Clyde Iron Works - Amclyde Engineered Products, Inc. (1889-) | Historical Construction Equipment Association

Name: Clyde Iron Works - Amclyde Engineered Products, Inc. (1889-)


Historical Note:

Clyde Iron Works was established in Duluth, Minnesota, in 1889. Its first major product was the McGiffert Log Loader, which was introduced in 1902; its inventor became a company officer.

It was owned by a succession of companies, including:

• Barium Steel Corporation, as a subsidiary in 1944 (the Barium names was printed on and then blotted from records dated Nov 1955 and Jul 1956);

• Republic Industrial Corporation, as a subsidiary from at least Nov 1958 into 1967;

• Vare Corporation, as a subsidiary as of 1968;

• A Microdot Company, as of Mar 1973;

• A Unit of the Equipment Systems Division of Dombirco, Inc. as of Oct 1973;

• A Unit of the Equipment Systems Division of Amca International Corporation, from at least Jan 1976 through at least Jun 1981;

• A Unit of Amca International Corporation, as of Jun 1983.

This is not a comprehensive list, but was assembled from records in this collection. Clyde is cited as Koehring-Clyde in an undated Caterpillar diesel engine applications brochure.

American Hoist & Derrick acquired Clyde Iron Works in 1986, and merged it with American’s Marine Division to create AmClyde. The Duluth facilities were closed at this time. In 1988, Duluth Engineering & Manufacturing Company leased the Duluth plant, bought its equipment, hired part of Clyde’s former staff, and began manufacturing parts for AmClyde.

AmClyde was a brand of National Oilwell Varco as of Apr 2008; this company also owned the remnants of Unit Crane & Shovel (Collection 1526).

According to an article in the Thomas Berry Collection (Collection 9, Group 8, Series 1, Folder 8), whirley cranes branded as Clyde-Wiley (Clyde Iron Works and Dayton Whirley Company/Wiley Whirley?) were used in building the second stage of Grand Coulee Dam.

The Clyde Park market, hotel, sports and entertainment complex was constructed on the site of the former Clyde Iron Works facilities in Duluth in the early 2000s, and was open as of 2009.

There is no known relationship between this Clyde Iron Works and an identically named steel fabrication firm that was founded in 1786 and that served the shipbuilding industry at Clydebridge, Scotland until 1978.

Sources:

http://www.d.umn.edu/lib/nemhc/guides/s2365.htm; http://www.duluthheritagesportscenter.com/feb_news.pdf;

sales literature.






Page Generated in: 0.067 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.99MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign