Log In | Contact Us | View Cart (0 items)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Foote Manufacturing Company - Foote Concrete Machinery Company (1903-1955) | Historical Construction Equipment Association

Name: Foote Manufacturing Company - Foote Concrete Machinery Company (1903-1955)


Historical Note:

In 1896, Chester T. Foote and Charles E. Foote of Nunda, New York, built a hand-cranked concrete mixer that was a significant improvement over machines then on the market. They perfected a mixer powered by a Lambert gas engine in 1898, and founded the Foote Manufacturing Company in Nunda in 1903.

The firm was reorganized as Foote Company, Inc., in 1918, and around the same time a sales office was established in Chicago, Illinois under the name of the Foote Concrete Machinery Company. This name was changed to Multifoote Sales Company on 1928 sales literature, and 1931 literature lists only The Foote Company in Nunda, along with a directory of sales reps and dealers; Chicago was covered by dealer G. F. Lowe Company.

Charles E. Foote and chief engineer George E. Blood perfected the crawler-mounted dry batch paver in 1918, and dubbed it the Multifoote. Adnun Manufacturing Company (Collection 30) was established as a subsidiary in 1930 to produce the first free-traveling asphalt paver.

Foote was acquired by Blaw-Knox Company (Collection 172) in 1948. Blaw-Knox kept the Nunda plant open until 1955, when it consolidated its manufacturing at Mattoon, Illinois.

Foote’s history is discussed in detail in Equipment Echoes Issue 66.






Page Generated in: 0.068 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.99MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign