Cedarapids, Inc. – Terex Cedarapids (1923-current) | Historical Construction Equipment Association
Howard Hall, a Cedar Rapids, Iowa industrialist, saw great business opportunity in the Good Roads movement of the early 1920s. Hall purchased the Bertschey Engineering Company in 1923 and renamed it the Iowa Manufacturing Company. Iowa initially produced aggregate equipment, and early on co-founder Guy Frazee developed the first truly portable aggregate plant, the One-Piece Outfit. Iowa went on to manufacture some 1,700 crusher plants for the U.S. military in World War II, which comprised some 80% of the military’s crushing equipment.
Asphalt plants were added in 1929. The Cedarapids name originated with Iowa Manufacturing Company, which used the Cedar Rapids trade name on its crushing and asphalt machinery during the 1930s and possibly earlier. The Cedar Rapids name was shortened to Cedarapids, and this became the conventional reference to the company’s products.
Iowa Manufacturing sales literature, probably from the mid to late 1930s, documents a line of Cedar Rapids-Symons deck screen; Symons is likely Symons Brothers Company - Symons Screen Company (Collection 1434).
New Holland Machine Company (Collection 1108), a manufacturer of impact crushers, was purchased in 1950. (Sperry Corporation acquired New Holland’s agricultural lines in 1947 to form Sperry New Holland, Collection 521.) In 1956, the first Cedarapids asphalt paver was built. In 1976, the El-Jay, Incorporated (Collection 627) cone crusher line was acquired, and production of these crushers continued under the El-Jay name.
In 1985 the company name was changed to Cedarapids, Inc. Standard-Havens was purchased in 1989. In 1999, Terex Corporation (Collection 532) acquired Cedarapids, and as of Nov 2009 operated it as Terex Cedarapids Inc.
On August 6, 2009, Terex Corporation announced that equipment manufacturing operations at the former Cedarapids plant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, would cease by mid-2010. Sales, service and engineering would remain in Cedar Rapids, but manufacturing would be transferred to plants in Durand, Michigan; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and other North American locations.
There is no known connection between Iowa Manufacturing Company and Iowa Foundry & Manufacturing Company (Collection 1749), a Fort Dodge, Iowa, manufacturer of concrete machinery.
Major patents and innovations:
In the early 1950s, Cedarapids produced a unique towed vibratory pneumatic roller. A more conventional tandem vibratory compactor was produced in the 1970s.
In 1957, Cedarapids introduced the first all-electric vibratory screed for asphalt pavers.
Cedarapids Inc. used the following trade names:
• ADM: Acronym for Asphalt Drum Mixing, drum mix asphalt plant
• Commander: Combination crusher plant
• Duo-Matic II: Asphalt paver grade and slope control
• Fastach: Asphalt paver screed
• Flexablend: Screen discharge gate
• Gemini: Asphalt paver control system for operating two BSF2 or BSF2H pavers side by side using one operator and one screed.
• Grayhound: Rubber-tired asphalt paver
• Magnum CF: Drum mixer
• Master: Combination crusher plant
• Mat Smoothness Machine: Windrow elevator
• Mix-Stor: Surge bin for asphalt concrete
• Rollercone: Cone crusher
• Rollercone MVP: Cone crusher
• Strech: Hydraulically extendible asphalt paver screeds
• VGF: Acronym for Vibrating Grizzly Feeder
• Wash-All: Screen/wash plant
Sales literature dated 1986-1987 refers to asphalt pavers as a hot mix spreader.
Wash-All screen/wash plants used an Eagle Iron Works (Collection 379) sand screw.