Jaeger Machine Company | Historical Construction Equipment Association
Jaeger Machine Company was based in Columbus, Ohio. It was affiliated with Lakewood Engineering Company (Collection 1756), owning it as a subsidiary from at least 1935 through c. 1949. During this time, form-riding concrete paving equipment was built using the Jaeger-Lakewood name. Jaeger ultimately absorbed Lakewood.
According to Highway Truck Mixer sales literature, Ackert Bickel, a contractor and engineer in Kansas City, Missouri, patented the first transit mixer, and in 1920 the first fleet of transit mixers was used on a road job in Kansas City. The Transit Mixer Company was founded in Kansas City to produce these machines, and its patent for a powered, truck-mounted transit mixer was acquired by Highway Truck Mixer Company (Collection 1740). Jaeger Machine Company (Collection 438) and Lakewood Engineering Company (Collection 1756) owned Highway Truck Mixer and manufactured its products in Columbus, Ohio. Apparently, Jaeger eventually merged Highway Truck Mixer into itself.
Jaeger sales literature printed in 1935 claimed that its Columbus, Ohio, factory was the world’s largest devoted exclusively to construction equipment manufacture.
Jaeger built its own gas engine at one point; by 1924, Hercules Engine Company (Collection 421) engines were used instead.
In 1989, Compressed Air Parts purchased the assets of the compressor division of Jaeger Machine Company of Columbus, Ohio.
Records in Group 1 Series 1 Subseries 1 indicate that Jaeger usually did not print publication dates on its sales literature. However, the publication number (i. e., Catalog 35-A) on many pieces apparently indicates year of publication. This was evidently more so for catalogs than individual spec sheets.
Jaeger used the following trade names for its products:
Fleet Foot – cable-operated swing wheel loader
Load-Plus – hydraulic wheel loader
In or prior to 1916, the National Association of Mixer Manufacturers adopted a Standard Ratings system for concrete mixer model nomenclature, with model numbers ending in E for rear discharge or S for side discharge. Jaeger evidently adopted this nomenclature in 1926 or 1927; assuming that publication numbers on most literature indicate year of publication, the 1927 catalog for mixers is the first to use such nomenclature. Even then, Jaeger used the standard nomenclature only for each size and type of mixer, but not strictly; for instance, 7S and 10S Speed King mixers were end-discharge machines. Individual model designations consisted of the number from the standard nomenclature followed by various numbers and letters to indicate options and attachments.
Serial number nomenclature:
A “C” prefix indicated a piston air compressor, and an “RC” prefix indicated a rotary compressor.
Paving equipment used a date prefix, consisting of the last two numbers of the year of manufacture, followed by an “X”.