Log In | Contact Us | View Cart (0 items)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Lidgerwood Manufacturing Company (1873-1947) | Historical Construction Equipment Association

Name: Lidgerwood Manufacturing Company (1873-1947)


Historical Note:

Lidgerwood Manufacturing Company was founded in 1873 by John Lidgerwood Sr. as successor to Speedwell Iron Works, and was headquartered in New York City from at least 1911 through at least 1920. As of 1911, its factory was in Brooklyn, New York, and it operated a foundry in Newark, New Jersey.

 

It acquired Union Iron Works (Hoboken, New Jersey) (Collection 542), and relocated to Elizabeth, New Jersey by 1944. By 1947, it was based in Morristown, New Jersey, and in 1947 it acquired Superior Iron Works of Superior, Wisconsin to form, along with The J. S. Mundy Hoisting Engine Company (Collection 480), the Superior-Lidgerwood-Mundy (Collection 1430); records published after that date are filed as part of that collection. As of the mid-1950s, Lidgerwood Manufacturing operated as a subsidiary of Superior-Lidgerwood-Mundy, with offices in New York City and its manufacturing at the former Superior plant in Wisconsin.

 

By late 2009, all operations had been consolidated in Superior, and John Lidgerwood Sr. was regarded as the company’s founder.

Sources: Sales literature, corporate website.
Note Author: Thomas Berry





Page Generated in: 0.493 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.99MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign