Log In | Contact Us | View Cart (0 items)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Sargent Tile Ditcher Company – Sargent Machine Company –  Sargent Engineering Corporation (1903-1967) | Historical Construction Equipment Association

Name: Sargent Tile Ditcher Company – Sargent Machine Company –  Sargent Engineering Corporation (1903-1967)


Historical Note:

Sargent Tile Ditcher Company was founded in 1903 in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and in 1921 it was engaged both in equipment manufacturing and in contracting for ditch maintenance. It was known as Sargent Machine Company by the early 1930s, and sales literature published circa 1931-1932 identifies Fred Grundon, uncle of Little Giant Crane & Shovel Company founder Lewis Grundon, as a satisfied customer of its Junior dragline. The company was again renamed, to Sargent Engineering Corporation, and was acquired by John Catalane, who sold it to Warner & Swasey Company (Collection 551) in 1967.

Herbert W. Sargent of Fort Dodge was awarded a patent in 1920 for a “Gathering Conveyor-Bucket,” and that he assigned the patent to Sargent Tile Ditcher. Sargent Machine Company claims to have originated the hold-down method of attaching an excavator’s upper works to its base, and the ball-bearing circle. The HT8440 truck hydraulic crane was touted as the world’s largest in 1966.

Sources: Equipment Echoes issue 47; Milwaukee Journal, Aug 6, 1967; sales literature; U. S. Patent Office records.
Note Author: Thomas Berry





Page Generated in: 0.077 seconds (using 109 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.99MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign