Huber Manufacturing Company (1854-1994?) | Historical Construction Equipment Association
The Huber Manufacturing Company was founded in Marion, Ohio in 1854, and founder Edward Huber was also a principal in the Marion Steam Shovel Company (Collection 2). It introduced a thresher in 1875, a steam traction engine in 1898, its first motor graders in the 1920s, a primitive hydraulic control in 1926, and the first Maintainer, a tractor-sized integral motor grader, in 1943. Other Huber products included wheel tractors, agricultural equipment, and three-wheel, tandem and pneumatic rollers; it is suspected that the pneumatic roller line was purchased from Browning Manufacturing Company of San Antonio, Texas, in the 1960s.
Huber acquired W. A. Riddell Corporation – Warco (Collection 1809), which itself in 1921 designed one of the earliest motor graders, in 1957 and became Huber-Warco Company. As of Mar 1964, construction machinery was being manufactured by the Huber Machinery Division of Huber-Warco Company, and the company eventually became Huber Corporation.
Huber-Warco’s Brazilian licensee was sold to Dresser Industries (Collection 375) and became part of their Galion grader operations under the name H.W.B. Dresser, later HWB Jeffrey Division, Dresser Industries (Collection 767).
Huber was acquired by A-T-O, Inc. (Collection 2006) in 1977, who relocated it to Charleston, South Carolina; A-T-O became Figgie International. All Huber products except the M series Maintainers were discontinued in 1994, and the Huber division was sold to Enterprise Fabricators in 1994, who relocated it to Galion, Ohio. Production ceased after 2002, and Enterprise Fabricators evidently ceased operations by Nov 2009. In March 2010, www.constructionequipment.com listed a Huber Construction Products in Iberia, Ohio, as producing motor graders, but this company’s website had been shut down the month before.
The Edward Huber Memorial Association operates the Edward Huber Museum in Marion, Ohio; as of October 2010, it had no website.
Huber Corporation manuals were numbered in a code:
<ul> <li> Model series.</li> <li> Serial number of the publication (i.e., manual 42 was superceded by manual 43).</li> <li> Suffix – M for maintenance, P for parts.</li></ul>